Friday, December 31, 2004

Journal Entry: Sambhar!

I am now confident about making sambhar. I got the recipe from a colleague at work who is from Hyderabad (Andhra Pradesh, India).

So far, I have made it 4 times in the past 2 months, with slight variations to try different combinations of flavors. In fact, I have even simplified the original recipe to accommodate my kids' taste. But I always make it with MTR Sambhar Powder. Even my mother has heard of that one in India (she lives in Pune).

When I am in the mood, I just get the box of idli batter from the nearby Indian store, make the sambhar, steam the idlis, and enjoy.

I like to add a combination of "opo" squash and green beans to it. Past attempts have included eggplant (brinjal) and okra (lady's fingers).

Interesting how the terms are so different from US and Indian English.


3 Comments:

Blogger Shammi said...

Hi Amit, have you tried onions and garlic? Bell peppers are great, too - they give sambhar a great aroma. I dont mind them cooking to a squishy texture in the sambar, but my friend doesnt. She usually cuts the peppers in large pieces so that she can fish 'em out later to throw away. That way the aroma is left behind. :)

January 1, 2005 at 11:54 PM  
Blogger Desi Gopi said...

"Shyam": I was thinking of the chunky stuff I add. I almost ALWAYS add sliced onions. I will consider green peppers someday. I find it hard to imagine garlic. Do you mean whole cloves, chopped, sliced, or... ?

January 2, 2005 at 12:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

very different..."the terms"
so what is your recipe of the Sambhar?
not being a South Indian, my sambhar always turns out good. Yeah i too use the MTR sambhar powder.

Congratulations though.

March 19, 2005 at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home